Who doesn’t love the smell of mixed spices and freshly baked muffins. It’s the best thing about winter. Deliciously nourishing, these fragrant coconut treats are perfect with a cup of hot coffee or a glass of mulled wine. Apples and carrots are great in baking adding flavour as well as more fibre and nutrients.
Makes 8 muffins | Prep time: 20 mins | Bake time: 25 mins
- 1 Lucuma & Coconut baking mix
- 3 medium, organic eggs
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 60ml (3 tbsp) coconut oil, melted
- 200ml coconut water
- 50ml coconut milk
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 small apple, grated
- 1 x 250g pack coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 170C /150C fan /Gas mark 3 and lightly grease 8 muffin tins (or use paper cases).
- Place the contents of baking mix pack into a large bowl, then stir in the mixed spice.
- Whisk together the eggs, melted coconut oil, coconut water and coconut milk until frothy, then pour this into the dry ingredients.
- Mix well to form a batter, then fold in the grated carrot and apple, stirring well to combine.
- Spoon this out between your muffin tins to reach just the top, then pop in the oven for about 20-25 minutes, until risen and golden.
- Leave to cool then turn out onto a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting (make this at least the night before – or up to 2 days ahead): Place the coconut cream in a bowl along with the maple syrup or honey, melted coconut oil and vanilla. Whisk up until smooth with an electric mixer (or use your blender), then place in the fridge to firm up.
- When you’re ready to serve, transfer the coconut frosting to a piping bag with a nozzle of your choice. Cover each muffin with a swirl of the frosting, then decorate with some dried apple crisps and sprinkle over desiccated coconut. Enjoy!
Keep any remaining frosted muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Enjoy and don’t forget to tag us in your photos and show off your healthy creations! #thrivelybaking