Superfood muffins that bring festive flavour with a healthier twist. You will love the delicious chocolate & orange smell that fills the kitchen when these are baking! We have added almonds for an extra nutritional punch in this recipe, because they are a great source of Magnesium and Vitamin E, which help protect cells from oxiditive stress and assist in maintaining healthy blood sugar levels. The uplifting properties of chocolate and maca will keep you fresh and energetic, so there is no chance of falling asleep on the sofa and missing all the festive fun! These make a perfect healthy edible stocking filling too.
Makes 8-9 muffins | Prep time: 5 mins | Bake time: 25 mins
- 1 Chocolate & Maca baking mix
- 4 medium, organic eggs
- 200ml non-dairy milk
- 60ml melted coconut oil
- 50g dark chocolate chips of your choice
- 30g flaked almonds (plus some for decoration)
- 2tsp orange extract
- 1tsp orange zest
- A pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 170C /150C fan /Gas mark 3.
- Whisk the eggs, oil and milk together. Carefully stir in the contents of the Chocolate & Maca muffin mix and then whisk for a minute until you have a smooth mixture.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and leave the mixture to rest for a few minutes.
- Place 8-9 muffin cases into a muffin tray and fill almost to the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Look for firm, but bouncy muffin domes. Ovens vary, some might need a couple of minutes longer or less.
- Move to a wire rack and leave to cool.
- To decorate, you can simply sprinkle some toasted flaked almonds, orange zest and melted chocolate.
You can store muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze them for up to 3 months.
Enjoy and don’t forget to tag us in your photos and show off your superfood muffin creations! #thrivelybaking