Sophisticated flavours, extra nourishing ingredients, indulgent taste– what more could you wish for in a dessert! Oh yes, and simple to make- you got it! The chocolate-orange flavoured sponge and frosting will awaken your taste buds like nothing else.
For the frosting, we recommend using your favourite unsweetened, raw cacao powder to get the best out of this superfood. Both baobab and cacao have immune supporting properties as baobab is very rich in vitamin C, whilst cacao has plenty of antioxidants and essential minerals for strong immune system.
Makes 12 cupcakes | Prep time: 20 mins | Bake time: 20 mins
- 1 Baobab muffin mix
- 4 medium, organic eggs
- 200ml non-dairy milk
- 60ml coconut oil, melted
- 1tsp orange zest
- 500ml coconut cream (2x 250ml packs), chilled
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 2tbsp cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- Place the unopened coconut cream in the fridge, so the water separates and it solidifies on the top.
- Preheat oven to 170C /150C fan /Gas mark 3.
- Whisk the eggs, oil, milk and orange zest together. Carefully stir in the contents of the Baobab muffin mix. Whisk for a minute until you have a smooth mixture.
- Place the cupcake cases into a muffin tray and fill two thirds to the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Ovens vary, some might need a little longer or a little less. Move to a wire rack and leave to cool.
- To make the frosting, scoop out the solidified cream from the coconut cream can/carton and place it in a cold mixing bowl (you can keep the remaining water and use it for smoothies). Add the honey, vanilla, cacao and orange extract and whisk for 4-5 mins until the cream is whipped to a light and fluffy texture. Place it in the fridge to further set until you are ready to decorate your cupcakes.
You can store cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days or freeze them for up to 3 months.
Enjoy and don’t forget to tag us in your photos and show off your healthy cupcakes! #thrivelybaking