Incredibly light and glamorous cake layered with cherry chia jam and soft whipped coconut cream, on a soft lucuma and coconut sponge. This is a super quick and easy recipe for a cake, which you will be proud to serve to your loved ones, and also satisfied that you are feeding them with nourishing, body-loving ingredients.
Coconut is a source of lauric acid, a fatty acid which acts as a natural anti-biotic, and caprylic acid which has anti-fungal properties. Coconut is also great for brain, heart and gut health due to its high levels of medium-chain triglycerides (MTIs).
Makes 6-8 portions | Prep time: 45mins | Bake time: 20 mins
- 1 Lucuma & Coconut baking mix
- 4 medium, organic eggs
- 200ml non-dairy milk
- 60ml melted coconut oil
- 500ml coconut cream (2x 250ml packs), chilled
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- Coconut flakes for decoration
Cherry chia jam and filling
- 120g cherries, pitted and diced (leave a couple for decoration).
- 60ml water
- 1tbps chia seeds
- 1tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp vanila extract
- Preheat oven to 170C /150C fan /Gas mark 3.
- Whisk the eggs, oil, and milk together. Add the contents of the Lucuma & Coconut muffin mix and combine carefully. Whisk for a further minute until you have a smooth texture.
- Spoon the mixture equally into two 9’’ cake trays and bake for 20 mins.
- Let to cool in the tray for 5 mins then transfer carefully to a wire rack to cool off completely.
- In the meantime prepare the chia jam by adding half the diced cherries, honey, chia seeds, water and vanilla in a small saucepan. Simmer on low heat for 5-10 minutes.
- To make the frosting, scoop out the solidified cream from the coconut cream can/carton and place it in a cold mixing bowl. Add the honey and whisk for 5 mins until it is whipped to a light and fluffy texture.
- Place a layer of the cake on a cake plate and top with 1/3 of the mixture and the cherry chia jam. Sprinkle with the remaining diced cherries. Then follow with the second cake layer, this time covering the cake’s top and sides with the rest of the whipped coconut cream. Don’t worry if it’s not perfectly smooth as we’ll cover it entirely with coconut flakes.
- Place the coconut flakes on a tray and bake for 2-3 mins until the edges become golden. Once cooled, start covering the whole cake with them, they stick beautifully on the sides. To make this a show-stopping celebration cake, simply decorate with some edible flowers.
You can store left over cake (if any!) in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Enjoy! Tag us in your shots and show the world healthy baking can be beautiful and delicious #thrivelybaking