Only the best cake ever invented and now in a healthier and equally tasty version! Rich chocolate layers with chia and maca, fluffy coconut frosting, smooth chocolate ganache, cherry jam and fresh cherries. Now, doesn’t that sound fantastic! This is the perfect cake for celebrations and special occasions when you want to present something with both great taste and light and nourishing ingredients. Add as many fresh cherries as you can on top of this cake as they are truly one of nature’s greatest superfoods- bursting with anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. They are also abundant in anthocyanins which help regulate blood sugar levels– handy when you are eating a cake!
To make this cake as nutritious and healthy as possible choose organic cherries, natural cherry jam with no added sugar or preservatives and chocolate without refined sugar. If you are not following a strict dairy-free diet you can make the frosting with 3ooml organic dairy cream instead, which creates a richer and silkier icing.
Makes 10 portions | Prep time: 45 mins | Bake time: 20 mins
- 1 Chocolate & Maca baking mix
- 3 medium, organic eggs
- 250ml non-dairy milk
- 60ml coconut oil, melted
- 50g melted dark chocolate [optional]
- 500ml coconut cream (2x 250ml packs), chilled
- 2-3 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract [optional]
Filling and decoration:
- 150g cherries
- 6 tbsp cherry jam (with no added sugar)
- 50g dark chocolate
- 200ml coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 170C /150C fan /Gas mark 3.
- Whisk the eggs, oil, milk and vanilla together. Carefully stir in the Chocolate & Maca mix, then whisk for 1-2 minutes until the mixture is smooth. Add the melted dark chocolate if using.
- Spoon the mixture equally into two 9’’ cake tins and bake for 20 mins.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins then transfer the layers carefully to a wire rack to cool off completely.
- In the meantime, prepare the frosting by scooping out the solidified cream from the coconut cream can/carton and place it in a cold mixing bowl (keep the coconut water- it’s great for adding to smoothies). Add the honey and vanilla and whisk for 4-5 mins until the mixture is whipped to a light and fluffy texture.
- To make the chocolate ganache, bring 200ml coconut milk to a boil in a small sauce pan and add 50g of chocolate, stirring until it’s completely melted and smooth.
- To assemble your cake, place the first layer on a cake plate and top with 2-3 tablespoons of cherry jam then follow with around half of the frosting mixture and drizzle with the chocolate ganache.
- Follow with the second cake layer, this time topping first with the frosting. Spread 2-3 spoons of jam in the middle and arrange the whole cherries on the top. Sprinkle with some chocolate shavings or more chocolate ganache.
You can store leftover cake pieces (although unlikely there will be any) in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
We look forward to seeing what an awesome cake you have created, so don’t forget to tag us in your photos #thrivelybaking